Sunday, December 5, 2010

Othello...

Yesterday, I was debating the effects on our society if Shakespeare never existed.
I came up with only one:


1. Everyone in the world would be happy. There would be no more war, poverty and boredom. More students would take higher level english, no longer afraid that their focus text would be in a foreign tongue.


Seriously though, my english class next year has about 10 people in it. "Girls, we will be studying "Othello" in first term next year." Upon this announcement, the demand for advanced/extension english suddenly decreased.


Don't get me wrong. I think that Shakespeare was an absolute genius for coming up with plots that have been fashioned into some of the most popular movies today e.g. "Clueless", "She's The Man." However, the language is so incomprehensible to me. I studied one paragraph for 15 minutes, having to flick from Othello to the dictionary about 30 times. Eventually I discovered that in one paragraph (28 lines), all Iago did was explain his plan to lie to Othello about his wifey!


I just can't bring myself to read the book. It's lying on my table...taunting me!!! I'll have to read it eventually. Here I go...

No comments:

Post a Comment